Saturday, January 22, 2011

Week 1 -- Hujambo Kenya

Its been 1 week since I left for Kenya. Its been amazing so far. The first night we stayed at a hostel nearr Nairobi National Park. That morning we wok eup to see monkeys right outside, which was such a cool suprise to start the trip. Durig the morning we changed our American Dollars into Kenyan Shillings, and Went through all the paperwork and fingerprinting (all 10 fingers) to get a pupil pass, which makes you an official resident of Kenya. The we drove to Nakuru National Park, where on the way we got out first glimpses at the stunning rift valley! At Nakuru we saw all sorts of animals -- baboons (which turned out to be ncredibly annoying), water buffalo, all sorts of deer-like animals, flamings, zebras, hyenas, hippos (viboko), warthogs, rhinos (vifaru), girafes (twiga), and even lions (simba) -- (pictures to come). We also got a chance to get to know each other and all the MSID staff, and to go through orientation, which was so helpful. We also got a chance to go into the town of Nakuru, where we got to practice our barganing buying fruit from the market. (Only pay 20 shillings for a mango, 5 for a banana -- hint: 80 shilings = 1 dollar). And the fruit is so amazing and fresh! We also got used to chai --milky tea that kenyans love and that I am getting used to ("Every Time is Tea Time"). We also tasted a pourrage like dish that tasted like oatmeal and apples that I actually had for breakfast this morning at mmy homestay! We also found out our internships we will be doing. I had requested to intern at the CYEC, an orginisation in Nyeri that I have done research like work for through coursework at PSU. I figured that if it fit into their existing structures I would be able to do it, and if not I would simply intern elseware. I was so suprised and grsteful to find out how much work they put into maing my internship happen, and into finding other internships in the area for some of the other students so that I was not alone iin the area! Everyone here is so nice. Yesterday we drove back to Nairobi and met our host families (ps -- they drive on the wrong side of the road like the Bristish -- so weird). Mine is incredibly nice, I have a mom and a dad, and little brothers that are 11 (Tua) and 12 (Eric), as well as incredbly nice househelp. My brothers are incredibly smart, and like things like space and dinasaurs, and cartoon movies. We watched a lot of BBC and Discovery shows! Shortly after getting there, we took the youngest brother to a birthday party at a place called village market that was like a giant mall complex, with restaurants, shops, a bowling alley, a movie theatre, a waterpark, and mini golf, it was pretty happening haha. On the way there and back the older brother pointed out all the buildings and landmarks we passed. The funniest thing he said: "Thats the anticorruption comittee -- they are very busy." Listening to my family, and spending tiem with them, there is a lot more in common with American families than I would have expected. Today we are just relaxing around the house. They actually get many American TV channels, although with one of these being the E! network, its no wonder many people have negative views of Americans! Tomorrow I go to school, but we are getting shown around Nairobi, getting phones and internet modems, and all of that. Tuesday we start classes,I am excited to improve my kiswahili, learn more about Kenya, and also about International Development, ecspecially from an African Perspective.

Kwaherini

1 comment:

  1. So cool to read of your adventure so far! I know that you will have an amazing time and I am sure your Family there will just love you for life! I love you and am so proud of you! Mom

    ReplyDelete